top of page
THE THELEMIC GOLDEN DAWN
ROSE CROSS RITUAL
1. Light a stick of incense. Go to the South East corner of the Temple, and make a large cross, vibrating HADIT, and a large circle vibrating NUIT. Then holding the point of the incense in the centre of the cross and circle vibrate the Mighty Name of RA-HOOR-KHUIT.
2. With arm outstretched on a level with the centre of the cross, and holding the incense stick, go the South West corner and make a similar cross, repeating the name.
3. Go to the North West corner and repeat the cross and the name.
4. Go to the North East corner and repeat the cross and the name.
5. Complete your circle by returning to the South East corner and bringing the point of the incense to the central point of the first cross which you should imagine astrally there.
6. Holding the stick on high, go to the centre of the room, walking diagonally across the room towards the North West corner. In the centre of the room, above your head, trace the cross and the circle and vibrate the name.
7. Holding the stick on high, go to the North West and bring the point of the stick down to the centre of the astral cross there.
8. Turn towards the South East and retrace your steps there, but now, holding the incense stick directed towards the floor. In the centre of the Temple, make the cross and the circle towards the floor as it were, under your feet, and vibrate the name.
9. Complete this circle by returning to the South East and bringing the point of the stick again to the centre of the cross, then move with arm outstretched to the South West corner.
10. From the centre of this cross, and, raising the stick as before, walk diagonally across the room towards the North East corner. In the centre of the Temple, pick up again the cross above your head previously made, vibrating the name. It is not necessary to make another cross.
11. Bring the stick to the centre of the North East cross and return to the South West, incense stick down, and pausing in the centre of the room to link up the cross under your feet.
12. Return to the South West and rest the point of the incense a moment in the centre of the cross there. Holding the stick, retrace your circle to the North West, link on to the North West cross – proceed to the North East cross and complete your circle by returning to the South East and centre of the first cross.
13. Retrace the cross, but larger, vibrating HADIT, and make a big circle, vibrating NUIT. Then, holding the point of the incense in the centre of the cross and circle, vibrate the Mighty Name of RA-HOOR-KHUIT.
14. Return to the centre of the room, and visualize the six crosses in a net-work around you. This ceremony can be concluded by the analysis of the Key Word as follows:
15. In the centre, stand upright, feet together, left arm at side, right arm across body, holding incense stick upright in the median line, and say:
Yod. Nun. Resh. Yod.
Virgo, Iacchus, Holy Father.
Scorpio, Asi, Holy Mother.
Sol, Orus, Holy Child.
Iacchus, Asi, Orus, IAO.
17. Give the Sign of Orus (also called the Sign of Osiris Slain), and say “The Sign of Orus.”
18. Give the Sign of the Dance of Asi (also called the Sign of the Mourning of Isis), and say “The Sign of the Dance of Asi.”
19. Give the Sign of the Joy of Iacchus (also called the Sign of Apophis and Typhon), and say “The Sign of the Joy of Iacchus.”
20. Give the Sign of the Blazing Star (also called the Sign of Osiris Risen), and say “The Sign of the Blazing Star.”
21. Extend the arms again as in 17 and cross them again as in 20, and say “L.V.X., Lux, the Light of the True Cross.”
22. Now vibrate the four Names to equilibrate the Light:
NUIT BABYLON THERION HADIT
23. Now drawn down the Light over your head to your feet, and say:
24. LET THE WHITE BRILLIANCE OF THE CROWNED CHILD DESCEND!
25. Now say the following, giving the Sign of the Enterer at the word “stir” and returning in the Sign of Silence at the word “still”:
26. THE WAYS OF THE KHABS RUN THROUGH ME TO STIR ME OR STILL ME. AUM! LET IT FILL ME. (End all in the Sign of Silence.)
Notes by Frater Achad AL:
The incense selected should be in correspondence with the working or a general all-purpose solar incense may be used, like frankincense.
Crosses may be traced by starting at the center point and tracing a line up and back to the center point, then down and back to the center point, then to the left and back to the center point, and to the right and back to the center point.
If a circle is to be traced around the cross, you then move the incense stick to the middle of the right hand bar of the cross and trace the circle through all four bars of the cross.
When reviewing this rite, consider the differences in the correspondences in the Pentagram Rituals, the Hexagram Rituals and Liber Resh vel Helios, and how the formula of the Rosy Cross applies to this rite.
This rite may (but does not have to) be preceded by a Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram using either the Traditional-Four Winds formula or the Thelemic formula.
The rite may also be commenced with an analysis of the Key Word and by giving the LVX signs as described in 15 through 21 above. This is recommended.
Consider the formula of the traditional version of this rite and how this rite differs by invoking the Most High in the Thelemic Pantheon and the 93 Current.
Like the traditional version, this rite creates an astral envelope around the Magician and tends to be quieting and balancing. The rite also raises energy which tends to be healing in nature. Accordingly, consider how you may use this type of energy yourself and by projecting it to others (always in accordance with the Law of Thelema).
After performing the rite, “pore breath” the energy in and out. Let it clean every pore and aspect of your Being.
This rite is excellent to perform with another person or as a group.
You might consider performing a projection at the conclusion of the rite (immediately after 26 above). If working as a group, a single projection should be prepared, which the group works on together before the rite.
Projections may be made in the Sign of Horus or simply by speaking at the Altar. Depending on the work, you could also make the projection by charging an edible magickal link (either in the Sign of Horus or by holding your hand(s) over it), such as a Cup of Water or Wine, Cakes of Light or whatever you may be using at the time as a libation. You (and the group) then consume the magickal link after charging it (making it a Eucharist of the energy raised in the rite).
Making projections tends to become natural over time and a regular part of a ceremonial magickal practice. However, until you are familiar and comfortable with the process, writing down the projection before the rite is recommended. Choose your words carefully to accurately reflect your Will, and be as clear and specific as possible. You might also consider and incorporate astrological aspects in formulating the projection (though this is not required).
When making any projection, speak clearly, and do not slur words.
If you read the projection, the paper on which the projection is written may be burned in the circle to further seal the work, or made a part of the entry in your magickal diary with respect to the working.
End all projections by vibrating “ABRAHADABRA” to signify the Great Work accomplished.
End all in the Sign of Silence, absorbing the crosses and astral envelope in conclusion before leaving your circle.
Rose Cross Ritual: Text
bottom of page